The mission of The Academy of Arts and Sciences is to develop leaders, passionate about making a positive contribution to their local and global communities
We will accomplish this by:
1. Implementing an academically rigorous, inquiry-based, college preparatory curriculum. Developing socially responsible citizens through 21st century learning.
2. Cultivating international awareness through the arts, sciences, and the International Baccalaureate program.
3. Developing meaningful traditions and learning opportunities that reinforce our model of inquiry.
The long term vision of the school is to become one of the highest-performing
charter schools in the California educational landscape, producing students and
graduates who are college-bound and successful at competitive universities
across the nation, and who will go on to become motivated, effective, and
principled leaders and citizens. This vision will be accomplished by creating a
school environment in which:
- Adults are sensitive facilitators of the process of empowering students
to value their learning and to take responsibility for it.
Students are seen as competent and are listened to by the adults around
- Students are encouraged to be curious, be inquisitive, ask questions,
explore and interact with their academic environment physically, socially and intellectually.
- Explicit learning outcomes and the learning process are made transparent
to the students.
- Students are supported in their efforts for mastery of skills on their
journey to become independent, autonomous learners.
- Learning experiences are differentiated to accommodate the range of
abilities and learning styles in the group.
- Collaboration on the part of all teachers is high, with a commitment to
an interdisciplinary approach to teaching.